Download Episode (mp3)
On show 5, we have our first guest – Kevin Kline!
We talk with Kevin about various topics, covering professional development, the direction of Microsoft, SQL Server 2014, the role of the DBA, and more. Specifically, we cover:
- How well Microsoft is keeping up with the competition
- What Kevin thinks about SQL Server 2014 and where Microsoft going in the database market
- How to take the leap from being a good DBA to being a manager
- Why it’s important to have a mentor
- His history at PASS, how he and the other founders envisioned it when they founded it, and what he wants to see PASS doing today
- How the DBA role is going to change in the next few years
- DBAs and Chauffeurs
- Kevin’s biggest mistake
- And more..
Kevin is a renowned database expert and software industry veteran, a long-time Microsoft SQL Server MVP and noted leader in the IT industry. Kevin is a founder and former president of PASS and the author of popular IT books like SQL in a Nutshell. Kevin is also a top-rated speaker at industry trade shows worldwide.
Items mentioned in the show:
- Kevin Kline’s Blog
- Kevin Kline – Top 10 DBA Mistakes on SQL Server
- Kevin and the Ice Bucket Challenge